San Marcos High School Cheer Team
2023/2024 Competition Team Information
The primary purpose of the San Marcos Cheer program is to generate spirit, pride, and leadership skills through support, performance, and personal conduct.
We are a competitive program participating in several competitions throughout the school year. We’re proud of the success we have achieved and will continue to strive for excellence.
We believe that instilling values of perseverance, hard work, cooperation, encouragement of others and most of all teamwork, leads to a successful competition experience. The Cheer teams require a lot of time, effort and dedication. It is a privilege to be on this team and is based on, not only skill, but on dedication commitment and team spirit.
SMHS Cheerleading is a year-round program that focuses on building the character of our athletes on and off the competitive playing field. SM cheer forms a culture and community of sportsmanship, dominance in our sport, and the WE over ME approach to daily practices. We work hard to bring school spirit to every game! Together the Varsity, Junior Varsity and Freshman team cheers on our athletes and represents SMHS at every scheduled meet and game! They are always present at all school rallies and events!
Participation in All-Star Competitive Cheer We understand that many athletes come from highly competitive all-star teams. While we appreciate the knowledge and experience gained from all-star cheerleading, we are forthcoming regarding the time commitment that is required to be on San Marcos High Cheer. Athletes are allowed to participate in all-star teams only if the coach/owner is willing to work with the schedule of San Marcos High Cheer. Below are outlined expectations for any member who wishes to participate in all-star cheer as well as San Marcos High cheer.
- All weekends in January are designated as San Marcos High Priority
- We require SMHS Cheer to take priority when scheduling conflicts arise
- Team practices are M-Th 4pm-6pm during the school year.
- Most football games are on Fridays for JV/V and Thursdays for Freshman. All teams travel on SMUSD bus to away games and events unless otherwise advised.
- SMHS Cheer has Freshman, Junior Varsity, and Varsity level teams
- All levels participate in sideline cheer and competition cheer
Tumbling is strongly encouraged for the varsity level team and highly suggested for the Freshman and JV level. We put a large emphasis on tumbling daily . We encourage those interested in trying out contact your local gym to get into tumbling classes ASAP. All tumbling is to be performed on a non-spring floor. Varsity Level
- Round off Back handspring tuck and above
- standing tuck and above
- Solid Round-Off Rebound
- Working stand back handspring with light spot or down a cheese mat.
Although an athlete may have the varsity level tumbling skills, that does not ensure they will be placed on the Varsity Level team. Many variants go into the team placement including cheer background and stunting ability and position. What to Wear to Tryouts
- All athletes attending tryouts are required to wear SMHS dress code appropriate attire
- Tank tops and shorts are recommended
- Cheer shoes recommended but not required. Athletic shoes are allowed (all athletes will be require to wear shoes while tumbling)
- Hair Up in HIGH Ponytail
- Cheer Bow